At PRINT 17, HP Inc. announced double-digit growth in its graphics customers’ commercial digital page volume, alongside accelerated adoption of its digital presses by leading print service providers worldwide as they grow business in a connected world.
The volume of pages digitally printed by HP Indigo and HP Page Wide Web Press customers is growing by approximately 15 percent1 compared to last year, amid continued momentum in the analog-to digital transformation in an overall market that is relatively flat.
HP also announced the 600th HP Indigo Series 4 large format digital press sold worldwide to American Litho, following its purchase last week of an HP Indigo 12000 Digital Press. Some 50 HP Indigo 30000 digital presses for folding cartons have also been installed, with Arroweye adding a second press. The oversized B1 HP Indigo 50000 Digital Press is also now commercially available following successful beta testing at Creel Printing.
Additionally, Quad/Graphics has installed an HP PageWide Web Press T490 to expand its existing marketing solutions platform. A global marketing services provider with a strong print foundation, Quad/Graphics will use the new press to deliver 1:1 and hyperpersonalized products.
At PRINT 17, HP unveiled breakthrough technology, setting new industry benchmarks for quality, productivity and color. The HP Indigo 12000 HD Digital Press doubles print resolution delivering sharper, smoother, finer print, opening new digital application opportunities.
For HP PageWide Web Presses, new print performance technology for the HP PageWide Web Press T240 HD will enable production of more high-quality digital pages economically for publishing, direct mail and commercial print. Customers have already reached 250 billion printed pages, now printing 5.5 billion pages per month.
“As we continue seeing market transformation driven by the evolving behavior of brands, we are also seeing our digital printing customers growing, enjoying double-digit page growth, and creating new ways to use print,” said Santi Morera, general manager, HP Inc. Graphics Solutions Business. “HP technologies can help print service providers address a wider range of commercial printing applications. This is driving PSPs to adjust their operating models and services.”
PSPs and brands seizing unique opportunities with HP digital
HP customers and brands are taking advantage of the unique and powerful print and software capabilities of HP digital to reinvent their businesses and offer customers opportunities to connect to print. They include:
- Shutterfly, the leading online retailer and manufacturer of high-quality personalized products and services, is now adding a second phase of HP Indigo 12000 Digital Presses and named HP as its preferred digital press provider for five years, following 25 units successfully installed in 2016. It will use the presses this holiday season to produce photo books, holiday cards, and keepsakes, while benefitting from the unique capabilities of the press including wide substrate versatility.
- Chatbooks, a mobile app-based company, supplies a printing service that feeds images from smartphones for printing on HP Indigo digital presses at a network of PSPs around the world. A photo book is printed and shipped weekly by Chatbooks to subscribers to help smartphone photographers preserve photo memories.
- Hudson Printing received more than 100,000 Mother’s Day card orders, each with individualized photos and hand-written messages via mobile app Inkly. Using HP PrintOS Site Flow and the HP Indigo 10000 Digital Press, Hudson was able to batch, print and mail them all within 48 hours and in time for the holiday
- Webcom is helping book publishers address their needs for efficient, high-quality, short-run book production on its HP PageWide Web Presses by partnering with HP in the development of HP’s One Book solution powered by PrintOS Site Flow.
- Nulab, an Australian-based printer, is using HP Indigo digital presses and 7-color printing, including HP Indigo ElectroInk Light Light Black, to achieve silver halide look and feel and transition to fully digital printing. The company’s printing products have earned it a total of 13 printing awards, including the coveted Benny, the top prize for digital printing novelty books.
HP at PRINT 17
Visit HP’s booth (#613) at PRINT 17 for exciting print experiences:
- HP PrintOS workflow solutions will be operating hands-on stations for the web-based and mobile PrintOS apps for optimizing print. Visitors can send enhanced photographs from the MomentCam mobile app for printing as posters, via HP PrintOS Site Flow, to the HP Indigo 12000 Digital Press on the show floor.
- HP Link Technology is creating new publishing experiences, with co-authors Dr. Joe Webb and Richard Romano presenting and signing their book Third Wave at daily happy hours. Printed on an HP PageWide Web Press by King Printing, live HP Link enabled hyperlinks have been included for scanning throughout the book, presenting additional content from the Internet, as well as launching additional interactive experiences.
- HP SmartStream Edge and Spine printing, winner of a 2017 MUST SEE ‘EMs Award, is a new, dynamic image option for printing an image on the front edge or side edge of a book. The effect is noticeable on the imposed, printed and finished job. Printing a single picture on the spines of a set of books is an additional option.
Learn more about additional presses and printers at the show: HP Indigo 7900 Digital Press, HP Indigo WS6800 Digital Press, HP Indigo 5900 Digital Press, HP Latex 3600 Printer, HP PageWide XL 8000 Printer, HP Latex 570 Printer, HP DesignJet Z6800 Photo Production Printer, and HP Specialty Printing Systems (SPS) solutions using thermal inkjet technology.
Thanks to Microsoft HoloLens technology, visitors at the HP booth can simultaneously interact with a virtual press while exploring real-life samples and applications and communicating with HP experts. Using a holographic headband, visitors can enjoy an extended reality experience into HP digital presses and applications on the HP Indigo 20000 Digital Press and HP PageWide Web Press T490 HD.